from Humble Pie

On a warm spring morn I became afraid,
thought I'd be alone forever.
A knot in my back, I felt courage fade
and began to catch a fever.

Summer, fall and winter passed
without a change in me.
Frost on the ground and chill in the air
kept me stationary.

But out of the blue a songbird sang
and her tune brought a tear to me eye.
Something new, maybe hope, maybe not
and i frowned with a great big sigh.

It lasts, as you know, when a songbird sings
She doesn't let up til the evening.
And the tune was so sweet i couldn't but laugh
and it left my teeth all gleaming.

I took a step to the west, shook my fist at the sky
and cried, "I'll be here for a while".
Then the sun shone down with particular grace
and methinks i saw a smile.

4 comments:

  1. wow if you made that up mate your a genius...

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's partially adapted from an obscure and altogether bizarre film, as the title suggests, and ends the story in such a graceful and hopeful way that i thought i'd include it in this candid stream of words to gently help in tending gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the film that is, what a magic poem, hats off..

    ReplyDelete